After struggling for weeks to find a way to incorporate the architectural image I created from a hand-carved stamp, I finally set it aside. I couldn't find a way to make it work (it was really too large for this project), so I stopped worrying about it and started over. I looked through my own surface-designed fabrics, my five design journals, and the work I did in Rosalie Dace's workshop.
|My five design journals|
LAYERS! TEXTURE! HOW TO CREATE INTEREST?I already had many pieces from my surface design experiments. Surprisingly, many of them were in shades of purple. Why? I took an online fabric-painting class through Quilt University about five years ago. We used transparent Setacolor paints (diluted 50/50 with water). I laid the piece below on a large plastic gridded surface -- it was just a handy place to hang the fabric (in the sun) to dry. Then I received one of those serendipitous surprises -- the grid, even from underneath, had been sun-printed onto my painted fabric, and I now had about 2 yards of it!
|Sun-printed purple fabric|
|Architecture fabric!!!! (mine tinted purple)|
The only goal for this weekend is to make this challenge quilt. I really don't like waiting til the last minute, but it seems that deadline pressure motivates me. But before I get back to work, here are a few shots of the chosen elements for this piece. To see all of the finished quilts, check back on Tuesday.
|TEXTURE: Two fabrics, densely stitched.|
|Detail: sun-printed, screenprinted fabric.|
|The elements, ready to be assembled and stitched.|