Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Catching up with the other members

At our meeting last night, we got to tour Deb's new studio, a remodeling project that more than doubled her space.  She also has several windows that offer views of her beautiful yard, green and lush this time of year.   I believe she said there were 26 natural-light bulbs in the ceiling, so there are no shadows anywhere.  Her design wall was an ingenious 8' tall wall-mounted unit that she and her contractor thought up.  Wish I'd taken photos!  She said it's hard to leave the space now; she could work for hours and hours. 

Maureen's work is in a new show at the Currents Gallery in McMinnville, OR,  Recycled Art Show, with an artists' reception this coming Sat., Apr. 21.
Maureen's participating in this show!
As we began going around the room, I felt the familiar thrill of seeing what our other members are creating.  Within a few minutes, I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat.  Erika's nearly finished her challenge quilt, where most of us are just beginning ours.

Lisa gave us a slide show on her laptop of the week-long class she just took with Gloria Loughman at Empty Spools at Asilomar. Then she showed the small practice piece she made the first day: 
Lisa's sample from Gloria Loughman's class.
That seems like a great way to teach a new technique; it familiarizes everyone with all the steps, then they can proceed to the "real" (larger) project.   Gloria's new technique will soon to be available to all of us when her new book's released.  I know I'll want to try it!

I also got to see Kathleen's start on her challenge piece, using Noriko Endo's confetti technique to create an impressionistic landscape.  LOTS of little pieces!
 
Unfortunately, I had to leave after that, so I missed the other projects that were shared.  Next time I'll remember to take my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment