Sunday, September 9, 2012

Katydid, a fabric interpretation

I finished piecing my fabric interpretation of my friend's abstract painting, and had some interesting thoughts in the process.  Once again, here's Katy's painting:
Abstract painting by Katy Vigeland
And my fabric interpretation:
"Katydid" on a black background
When I told Katy I was using her painting as an inspiration for an art quilt, she said "I've never been anyone's inspiration before."  (Isn't that the name of a song??)  She may need to get used to it, because I enjoyed this process very much and can't wait to start another one!

What I learned:  I began the project as a literal interpretation, but when the lower right-hand section turned out a bit off-kilter, I liked it even more.  Most of the other parts were already constructed, and I didn't want to re-make them.  So this first attempt actually is more of a fabric interpretation rather than an exercise in creating a piece inspired by an original painting.

And now, how to quilt it?  I'll have to let the ideas percolate before deciding.  I do know that I definitely want to do more like this, while allowing myself more latitude in the process.

Thanks, Katy!




2 comments:

  1. Your work is beautiful. You will soon have a list of artists wanting you to transition their work into fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tory, that's so sweet of you to say! I enjoy giving myself challenges, so here's my public announcement: Challenge me!

      Delete