Sunday, August 30, 2015

Dye-painting, continued


I've continued dye-painting since the weekend retreat at Vera's. One of these pieces produced a surprise!  I didn't notice that it had previously been stamped and screenprinted with Jacquard's Color Magnet at Vera's.  (Light yellow markings on the back were evidence of the Color Magnet application, but I didn't see them when I started painting on the other side).  I'm not sure what I was attempting to do because the dye-painted side was just a mess of brush strokes in two colors (green/blues and amethyst/fuschia).
But once it was dried, the images stamped with Color Magnet were very apparent:
Color Magnet results


Here are a few other pieces I've dye-painted since the weekend retreat.  The first was a monoprint that turned out much too light.  I forgot that I'd washed it and it no longer contained any soda ash, so I mixed up some solution and sprayed it on, but it was too little, too late.  Much of the dye washed out.

Overdyed monoprint
The second was an experiment for an idea that's been percolating in my imagination for awhile and involves dye-painting a whole-cloth piece that's already been quilted.  I wanted to try out the same color palette  to see what it might look like:

Sample for a larger project
More on that project later!

No comments:

Post a Comment