So of course I was intrigued when Lucie's first book was published. I was also looking for something new to teach, so decided to use her book and step into the world of modern quilts. Because the title implied that it was based on improv piecing (my favorite way to work), I jumped right in, piecing and slashing and reconstructing like usual.
After constructing several different units, I realized that some of the units I was making were elements not included in the book. So I removed the areas of intricate piecing and tiny inserts (the green & red section on the left) and made a dedicated effort to work within the confines of the book, since that's what I'd be teaching from.
|Before removing green & red section on left and other red pieces.|
Now it was beginning to look more serene. I added a few tiny accents of red throughout the design.
Still, that vertical row of white squares (left side) bothered me. I wasn't sure it fit. I removed it, switched the positions of the last two rows, and began to audition borders.
It was finally ready to be layered and quilted. I finished it with a binding because in the end, this might become a crib quilt rather than one that hangs on the wall. (No, this is not a notice of impending grandparenthood . . . yet!) It measures 31" x 37".
|It makes me smile to find a bit of piecing on the back of a quilt!|
Either way, I truly enjoyed this project and hope that the finished quilt entices lots of students to sign up for the class this spring and summer!