|Ice-dyed with Raspberry Procion MX dye.|
I started with the ice cubes from my freezer, not really knowing how much I'd need (or how fast they'd melt in the over-90 degree heat). I scrounged around for something to suspend the ice in, since I'd read that it works better if the ice and dyes aren't directly placed on the fabric. I placed the ice in a discarded fan cover and set that over the tub that held the scrunched fabric (soda-soaked).
For the first batch, I decided to use some dyes left over from a class I taught the previous weekend, so the following dye concentrates were drizzled over the ice: Scarlet, Fuschia, Raspberry. After a few minutes, I decided on MORE COLOR, and added just a touch of Peacock and Bright Yellow, then a few drops of Cerulean. I got a second container going, and drizzled Cerulean, Turquoise, Peacock, and jut a few drops of Bright Yellow dye concentrates over suspended ice cubes.
|Raspberry-pink-red ice dyes, melting quickly.|
For the next batch, I found some scraps of tulle and clipped it over the tub to hold the suspended ice. I decided to follow all the written directions I'd found for ice-dyeing, which called for sprinkling dye powder (dry, undiluted) over the ice. (Yep, I wore protection: mask and gloves.) It does make more sense to do it this way, because as the ice melts, the dye powder dilutes and slowly drips onto the fabric, producing lovely color variations.
|Dye powder over ice cubes, suspended above tub by white tulle.|
|Ice-dyeing with New Black dye powder.|
|The pinks-reds from liquid dye concentrates, rinsed but not yet washed.|
|The same pink-reds after washing.|
|My favorite of all, this one says SUMMER to me!|
|From the Cerulean, Turquoie, Peacock dyes, rinsed only.|
|The same blues, post-washing.|
|The mystery pieces from smaller batches, unidentified.|
|New Black, rinsed only.|
After washing, the black lightened considerably:
|New Black, washed & ironed.|