Sunday, October 29, 2017

A post for 2017

For the historical record (and just because I felt like writing), I'm revisiting this neglected blog and posting an update.  It has been over a year, after all!

Last year's fabric book challenge kind of fizzled out, except for a few exceptions.  So did the following one. Some of the reasons given were:  not really interested in the subject/theme, ran out of time, lack of commitment, couldn't get started, etc. So what do we do when there's low participation in our challenges?  Maybe the answer is to let each person decide what subject interests them and/or what techniques they'd like to learn.

That's the new Self-Directed Challenge where each member decides what she wants to work on.  Each chooses their own subject matter and some parameters that will challenge and push them creatively.  We'll share our projects at each monthly meeting to show our progress.

I've finished the first half of my Self-Directed Challenge, which was to make a piece for the Pathways exhibit at Memorial Union at Oregon State University in Sept-Oct.  The exhibit featured work by the Valley-South SAQA group I'm in.   

"The Illuminated Way"

detail
The background fabric was first deconstructed screenprinted and deemed ugly.  So I dyed it teal, then stamped it with one of Maureen's wooden tjaps (printing block).  A blonde sheet of silk fusion (a sort of silk paper I made from silk roving) was placed on top of the background, then channels of teal velvet were stitched over it.  A vertical trail of tiny squares of copper foiling were added, then the quilting.

My artist's statement was about being overwhelmed and getting lost by all the possibilities.  We observe, research, and sample many avenues, always searching for the one that lights up our soul.  "In art, as in life, I'm seeking that spark that illuminates the way forward for me, showing me that I'm on the right path."

Other work completed this year includes these two small  pieces inspired by English artist Angie Hughes, whose work I greatly admire.  They're on a velvet background and the techniques used include fabric painting, discharging through stencils, Angelina fibers, Textiva film, organza layers, and free-motion quilting.  One of the reasons I enjoy making these so much is because of the varied techniques used.  (The variety keeps me interested so I don't wander off and start something else!)

Three Candles (9x10")

Spring Blooms (7x9")
I'll show the results of my eco-dyeing explorations in my next post.  I've really enjoyed steaming eco-prints onto watercolor paper, and have also done more with onion skin dye, solar flower dyes, cochineal dye, and indigo.

A simmering pot of onion skins for dye.




Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment