Saturday, August 27, 2011

New Fiberexplorations Challenge



  A R C H I T E C T U R E    C H A L L E N G E

Decorative element on Ladd and Bush Bank building
Our group's latest challenge is something different.  (No, that's not the name or the subject.)  I've been referring to it as the Architecture Challenge.  Proposed by our member Chris, it's based on the ornately-decorative architecture of Salem's Ladd & Bush Bank, a downtown landmark.  Seemingly just for our purpose, the building recently received a new paint job!
A new layer of paint added to many others




Once I started examining the building's architectural details, I was surprised at all I found.  I've driven by this building, walked past it, and have been inside it numerous times, but never really LOOKED or SAW.  (There's a lesson in this that I probably don't need to spell out.)

A nice reflection



Curves, arches, and straight lines













Some architectural terms (such as dentil molding) came back to me, courtesy of a long-ago job with the Del. Dept. of Architecture and Historic Preservation:

Dentil molding at top; detail of arch
As I glimpsed this vignette through a window, I wondered . . . do you have to beat the banker at a game of chess before qualifying for a loan???
Chess set on banker's desk
Lots of possibilities, and that was a pleasant surprise!  My design will be something abstract, probably based on an architectural detail . . . maybe manipulated in PhotoShop, or maybe still identifiable by the viewer.  I'd better record these ideas before they float away!   I can't wait to hear what everyone else has come up with at our meeting next Mon.  The deadline for this challenge is our Nov. 14th meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment