Sunday, June 2, 2013

Pastels


My garden is flush this year with an abundance of delicate columbine.  Perched atop tall, slender stems, their blossoms range from the lightest, palest blush of pinky-lavender . . .

 to blues . . .


and purples . . .

They remind me of a beautiful vintage quilt that came into my possession about 10 years ago.  From a distance it's beautiful,
but on closer inspection, some of the fabrics are quite damaged.
It's a shame, really, and it's too extensive of a repair job for me to undertake, so I wondered how else I could use this quilt.
Every bit of it is hand-pieced, as well as hand-quilted, as you can see from the tiny, even stitches on the back.
After several days of working up the courage, I finally got out my best fabric scissors and began cutting from one edge of the quilt, while Baby supervised:




After I trimmed a bit, some sweet quilted stars emerged:

 
 And I knew exactly what to do with them!

2 comments:

  1. It took a LOT of nerve to cut that quilt but what a lovely second life you're giving the quilted stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TG: Don't I know it!!! You wouldn't believe how long I stood there with my best Ginghers in hand, poised to cut. Besides being damaged, the quilt wasn't a family heirloom and it lived in a cupboard, so it wasn't enhancing anyone's life. So I took a deep breath and . . .snip, snip!

      Delete